09 May 2017

Supersprint X-pipe

I recently saw a post on a forum about replacing the US-spec S54 H-pipe with the Euro-spec S54 resonator box 18107831421.  That reminded me the Supersprint makes an X-pipe for the S54 M coupe, so I went ahead and bought one.  It was not in stock and took about 6 or 7 weeks to get.  When it arrived it is nearly identical in length to the stock H-pipe.  It's well made like other Supersprint parts.  I installed it without issue.

At the same time, I reworked my Supersprint muffler installation.  Under some conditions, the tips could touch the bumper cover.  It was minor, and I'm told when the exhaust does burn into the cover, the plastic tends to melt inwards (away from view) and the pieces easily crumble off the car.  And, because the SS tips are double walled, they never get super hot anyway.  Regardless,  melting the bumper is not OK with me.  My fix was to remove a 6mm x 35mm triangle from the bumper inside corners.  Then touch up the edge with paint and clear coat.  Next, I reworked the exhaust hangers by adding steel plates I made with high-temp rubber washers.  This restricts the exhaust from some side-side movement but does not affect forward-aft or up-down.  Finally, I re-aligned the exhaust to use the added clearance better.  Works like a charm.  The tips cannot touch the bumper cover now under any circumstance.

I thought the SS exhaust sounded good before, and it sounds even better (less rasp) with the X-pipe.  Next plan is to keep adding SS parts going forward, but it's going to get very expensive from this point on!!














 








No comments:

Post a Comment