28 August 2017

Sniggly Bits II (Well, crap)

Ok, turns out North Hollywood Speedometer will not work on our instrument clusters.  We are "too modern" if you can believe that.  They looked at mine, and then decided to pass on doing any work on it.  So I was back to square one.

One quirk with my instrument panel was: many years ago I broke the locking "teat" on one of the 3 connectors at the back.  Surely this wasn't related to my intermittent speedo problem, but it was broken and who knows.

Sourcing a new connector proved to be difficult.  You used to be able to buy them from BMW, but you can't any more.  I had to buy a used one from ebay for $5.  I replaced the broken one, locked it back and place, and so far my speedo has been trouble free.  Based on my luck finding the part, I went ahead and bought spares (also used) for the other 2 connectors for a few dollars each.  Part numbers listed below.

BMW 6913634
BMW 8364646
BMW 8373604 

These are worth picking up as spares.

This is an unbroken connector.  "Teat" is still here.  The arm swings forward and locks behind the teat.

Locking "teat" is broken off of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment