04 October 2017

Transmission and Differential Oils

When I had Randy do the rear subframe reinforcement, I supplied him with new BMW SAF-XJ in 1-liter bottles.  I had never seen these before and was excited to get them.  In reality when I picked up the car, I think the diff was loud.  So I have switched back to the Mercedes/Castrol 75W-140 SAF-XJ diff oil I buy from ECS.  You would think they work the same since they are both SAF-XJ, but they do not. 

Also, per the recommendation of a guy on Bimmerforums, I switched the transmission oil to standard Dexron III.  I used Motul, which is a higher end brand.  Previously I had been using BMW LT-2 but there is a theory that LT-2 causes the sticky shift pin issue.  Having replaced the shift pins on my S54, and knowing I don't want to do that job again, I am trying the Dexron III.  You cannot tell when you drive the car it is any different than LT-2.  Costs less too.



1 comment:

  1. It has been great to know that there is a sincere loan lender out there that knows about helping loans with a low rate of 2% . We always stay humble and never give up on my project finance, and for The Loan offer pedro granted me, we are truly grateful for the help and push we have received my loan as discussed
    Contact pedroloanss@gmail.com for WhatsApp:+1-863-231-0632 more information about his loan offer.

    ReplyDelete