17 November 2016

Supersprint DTM Exhaust

In a previous post, I removed the Supersprint DTM exhaust from my S54 M coupe and replaced it with a new, straight-tipped one.  I installed the DTM from the S54 onto the S52 coupenut project car.

I polished the cans and tips with Blackfire metal polish.  That worked out great, they look new.  I also cleaned everything really well once the cans were removed.  At one point in it's life, I think this differential leaked as there was a lot of residue to clean.  Now that everything underneath is as-new, I should be able to spot leaks and issues faster.  I used a heavy mix of Simple Green and water and also 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover to clean the underbody and components.

I installed the exhaust just like the S54, with a modified, custom bracket on the right/passenger aft can.  And, I modified the forward bracket on the right/passenger can too.  Just like the S54.  I normally buy OE BMW hardware, and this case is no exception, except for the copper exhaust nuts.  The stock setup for exhaust removal and replacement has some 13mm nuts, 13mm bolts, and 12mm copper nuts.  This makes the work tedious as you have to watch which wrench goes to which hardware.  As a change, I bought M8x1.25 copper exhaust nuts that are 13mm drive.  This made the work WAY easier than it was on my S54.  I recommend it.

The final installation is very, very good but I was not able to get one set of tips completely, dead nuts level.  I am within half a bubble though, so I will call it good.  During this mod, I decided to paint the differential casing with Eastwood semi-gloss black.  That worked out great and I wish I had done it on my S54.  I hand painted it; took my time.

I paid $800 for the DTM system many years ago.  I bought it from a good friend of mine in Seattle.  So for accounting purposes, I will call it $800, but I think it's worth more than that in this condition.

Supersprint DTM Exhaust system, used, $800a
Exhaust hanger at muffler cans, qty 4, 18211704198, $29.48r
Exhaust hanger mid point, round, qty 2, 18211105635, $9.15r
Copper exhaust nuts M8x1.25 with 13mm heads, bag of 25 nuts from Amazon,  $15.99 + $5.24 shipping

Total cost of this mod = $957.45
Total investment in vehicle to date = $14560.99









No comments:

Post a Comment