I elected to recover my headliner with black Ultra Suede. Ultra Suede is made by a company that makes synthetic suede like the famous Alcantara, but for less cost. And, they have a jet black color that is a true black, unlike Alcantara which is at most very dark gray. This material has a thin foam backing on it. I sourced it from Graham Fabrics. I used DAP Weldwood HHR for adhesive. Really nice stuff, but I could only get it in a gallon container (e.g.: that is a lot of glue). I love the strength of 3M Super 90, but the overspray is a pain and I think this is actually stronger. Remember if the seats are disconnected, do not start they car or even turn it to the on position, you will trigger an airbag warning light.
When I pulled the rear speaker grills to remove the headliner, I noticed the foam surrounds had turned to dust. They were just gone. I planned on upgrading audio in this car later, but I might as well replace the rear speakers now. I went with Alpine units with small cross overs that easily fit into the headliner recesses.
While the headliner was out, I also ran power and ground to the later S52 autodimming rear view mirror and A-pillar gauges, which will be coming later.
DO MAKE SURE you read this additional post with tips on how to remove the headliner.
Headliner material, Onyx Black, 4 running yards, $14.95r each
Headliner glue, DAP Weldwood HHR (High Heat Resistance), $29.95r
Headliner fasteners, 51111944537, one-use-only, $0.31r each, need 2
Alpine SPR-50C component speakers, $299.99r
Total cost of this mod = $390.36
Total investment in vehicle to date = $6317.06
|Seats removed helps some, headliner will go out passenger door opening.|
|Headliner rounding the corner.|
|The foam surrounds on the rear speakers were gone. Turned to dust! Will be replacing them with aftermarket units.|
|What is under the headliner|